Visiting in McMinnville
We invite you to come and explore McMinnville located in the beautiful agriculturally rich Willamette Valley on U.S. Highway 99W. McMinnville enjoys a central location to Pacific Ocean beaches (50 miles to Lincoln City), the big city (Portland - 30 miles to the northeast), and the state capitol (Salem - 25 miles southeast), with an easy scenic drive to Mt. Hood and other ski areas. You can view an interactive map of the city of McMinnville.
McMinnville is surrounded by Yamhill County's 200 plus vineyards and 90 wineries; more than in any other county in Oregon. Yamhill County's wine makers consistently produce wines that receive high honors in many American and international wine competitions.
Most of the area wineries have tasting rooms open to the public, and since most of the wineries are located on picturesque hillsides, a wine tasting tour can be a delightful experience.
The Evergreen Aviation Museum is home to the famous Spruce Goose and over 60 historic aircraft and exhibits. Built by aviation pioneer Howard Hughes in the 1940s, the Spruce Goose is the largest wooden aircraft ever built. It is joined by other rare aircraft: World War II German BF-109 Messerschmitt, a British Supermarine Spitfire, a B-17 Blackbird and replicas of the Wright Flyer and Curtiss Jenny. The museum is open daily from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
The McMinnville Downtown Historic District comprises 100 commercial buildings of architectural and historical significance. The revitalization efforts of the McMinnville Downtown Association have made the downtown area one of the most charming and vital in the state. Visitors can enjoy shopping, live theater and fine restaurants. A self-guided historic building walking tour is available at the Chamber Visitors Center.
In addition to all that McMinnville has to offer, it is just 27 miles to Spirit Mountain Casino in Grand Ronde, one of the state's most popular tourist destinations and just 48 miles to Chinook Winds Casino in Lincoln City, on Oregon's beautiful coast.
The Chamber member Business Directory includes a list of chamber member hotels, RV parks and bed and breakfasts accommodations.
A wide variety of casual and fine dining is offered in McMinnville. A list of chamber member restaurants is available on the Chamber Business Directory.
The small town charm of McMinnville is celebrated in its many community events.
- Turkey Rama - McMinnville's largest community festival held in early July celebrates the county's turkey producing history. Turkey Rama is celebrated with a street fair, carnival rides and games, entertainment, 8K Turkey Trot, and the World Famous Turkey BBQ.
- Yamhill County Fair - Oregon 's oldest county fair is held in early August. The Yamhill County Fair features old fashioned fair food, rides and exhibits. The fair is also host to a 3-day NPRA Rodeo and top name entertainment.
- International Pinot Noir Celebration - IPNC is held in late July of each year. Pinot Noir producers and wine lovers from all over the world come for the three-day program of seminars, tastings and fine food.
- McMinnville Wine & Food Classic - The McMinnville Wine and Food Classic is held each year in early March. This weekend event held at Evergreen Aviation Museum features over 100 booths showcasing the state's wine industry, gourmet foods, art and music.
- The Downtown Brown Bag Concert Series & Farmers Market - The Downtown Association is host to two annual summer events. The Downtown Brown Bag Concert Series is held during the lunch hour on Thursdays from June through August at Third and Davis Streets. People of all ages fill the plaza to enjoy a variety of regional talent. The McMinnville Farmers Market is also held Thursdays, June through mid-October, at Third and Cowls from 2:30 – 6:30 pm.
- Alien Daze/UFO Festival - A celebration like no other lands in McMinnville mid-May. With both a serious eye and lighthearted tone, the festival welcomes believers, skeptics, noted experts, trekkies and everyone in between.
- Yamhill County Visitor Information - For more information about vacationing in the Yamhill Valley area, visit the Yamhill Valley Visitors Association or Discover Yamhill Valley.